Thousands of pastors have been receiving the Pastors Today free newsletter from Lifeway by email every Monday morning for 10 years. It’s been good, but now it’s better.
Lifeway has launched a revamped and upgraded version of Pastors Today with more content features to help pastors with issues they deal with all the time.
The new version will offer
- A redesign and relaunch of the Pastors Today newsletter
- A renewed focus on providing content (articles and sermons) for pastors on Lifeway.com
- A refresh of the existing Pastors Today Twitter account (Twitter.com/PastorsToday)
- The launch of a new Pastors Today page on Facebook. (Facebook.com/PastorsToday)
- A growth plan that will introduce even more features, such as a related pastor-focused blog
In a post on his blog (ThomRainer.com), Lifeway President Thom Rainer wrote that as a former pastor and the father of three current pastors, he is a strong advocate for pastors.
He said, “I am incredibly excited to announce the release of [Pastors Today]. It will be full of resources to help the pastor both in his vocational ministry and in his personal life. It is Lifeway’s and my gift each week to pastors. It is our attempt to say thank you for the ministry you do for others.”
Rainer listed five convictions for the relaunch of the newsletter
- Pastors are called by God. We should respect and revere that calling.
- Pastors give of themselves every day. We desire, even in this small way, to give something back to them.
- Many pastors don’t have the funds for needed resources. We pray that this free newsletter will help. We also will point pastors to our free or affordable resources. We particularly hope this newsletter will benefit the bivocational pastor who is often short on time and resources.
- Pastors deal with enormous pressures and constant criticism. We want them to know we have their backs.
- If we can help pastors, we will also help churches, the bride of Christ.
Craig Webb, pastor for vision and purpose at The Glade Church in Mt. Juliet, Tenn., will continue as Pastors Today editor.
Steve Drake, Lifeway’s director of pastoral relations, will join Webb as a regular contributor to the newsletter. His role will be to assist pastors and staffs as they lead their churches.
Drake said, “I want to be available to help pastors in any way I can. My role as director of pastoral relations was created for that purpose. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, and I look forward to hearing from pastors or other church staff members when they have questions or comments.”
Content will be updated at least weekly and will prominently reflect the current newsletter content, plus, over time, more features will be added.
- Original article and video content, organized into specific topic areas (i.e., preaching, sermons, leadership and strategy, pastoral care, counseling, bivocational pastors, church planting, etc.)
- Various sermon series and outlines (i.e., Explore the Bible, The Gospel Project, various topical subjects, etc.)
- A repository of fresh sermon illustrations
- Promotion of and access to relevant training opportunities (both free and paid)
- Merchandising of relevant products and events for pastors and churches
- Links to sign up for related newsletters, pages on Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Links to relevant related blogs (Thom Rainer, Steve Drake, plus others)
- Links to other Lifeway-provided offerings, such as: MyStudyBible.com, CrossBooks.com, WORDSearch product family, commentaries and other theological reference items, leadership training events, and Extra (a continuing helps page for Sunday school leaders)
Webb said in the future the Pastors Today section on Lifeway.com could also include communities and forums where pastors can interact with one another, share information and upload their own content to share with their peers.
By Polly House, Communications Department